Monday, May 01, 2006

Spooked In Savannah

I have no doubt that anyone who reads what I’m about to write will think I’m making it up. As Ripley said, you can Believe It or Not, but it's the honest truth.

My husband and I just got back from a weekend trip to Savannah. We rented the second floor of a neat old townhouse (rumored to be haunted) in the historic district.
My sister came down from Atlanta to spend Friday night and Saturday with us. Before dinner on Friday we were sitting in the living room talking, having a beer (my sister) and a glass of wine (us). There was a small coffee table in front of the couch. When we got up to go out to dinner, my husband knocked over his glass of red wine (quarter-full) and it got all over the rug, so we moved the coffee table and cleaned up the mess as quick as we could before it stained. Then we moved the table back where it was, walked out the door and went to dinner.

After dinner, my husband dropped us off in front while he went looking for a parking place. My sister stopped at the foot of the stairs and said, "Let's wait for Bob". I teased her about being scared, but it turns out she actually was. She didn't want to go in without Bob, even though we'd been in and out all day, and Bob & I had already spent a very peaceful night in the place. I poo-poo’ed her fears, and made her come in, but she was still scared. We'd left the lights on, so she and I walked all through the place while I tried to show her everything was ok.

By then, we were back in the living room and Bob came in. I was still teasing my sister about being scared as Bob walked over to the coffee table to put down his keys. He said, "Who did this?" and pointed at an empty beer bottle.

It was UPSIDE DOWN. It was sitting, perfectly centered in the middle of the coaster where she'd left it, but it was balanced on the smallest part - the TOP, not the BOTTOM. There was absolutely no way it could've been like that when we moved the table, because it would've fallen over. We'd all three been together the entire time, both before dinner, during and after, except while Bob parked the car. If one of us had done it on purpose, we'd certainly have seen it.

And that’s not all. The doorbell rang twice on Friday, and there was no one there. When we tried ringing it ourselves, it didn’t work, even though we tried it repeatedly over the course of our stay. The answering machine registered five different messages, all just dial tones and ‘If you’d like to make a call, please hang up and try again’ messages, all recorded in the wee hours of the morning, though the phone didn’t ring. We know the phone worked fine because we did receive one legitimate call while we were there.

Last, but certainly not least, we took a lot of pictures, and they all turned out beautifully EXCEPT for the ones taken inside the townhouse... those had a fuzzy, 3-D effect over the face of whoever was in the picture, while the rest of the picture was fine.

Creepy? Definitely. Explainable? To a skeptic, I suppose. But I’m here to tell ya, I was glad to leave Savannah and that townhouse behind.


Janice Lynn said...

Wow, Terri. That's spooky. ;) Sounds like an interesting trip and wild on the pictures having the blurry faces.

Tawny said...

Very Spooky!!!

I'd have been freaked... and loving every second of it LOL. It sounds like great research ;-)

LauraT said...

oh wow Terri! (i was in the Avon chat tonight..and you told me about your story..)...

The guys on ghost hunters would probably be like..

falty wiring... and the beer bottle?????

how to explain that?? unless hubby did it or housekeeping?

there is no explanation....

LauraT said...

or.. is there?