Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Gone But Not Forgotten

The last Mother's Day I spent with my mother was in 1998, and she was dying. We'd known it was coming - she'd been diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, better known as 'Lou Gehrig's disease') two years earlier, and had spent the previous 18 months bedridden and on a respirator. ALS slowly robbed her of her ability to move, speak or breath, but it never took away her sweetness, gentleness, or her sense of humor - she was writing jokes on a legal pad until the day she died. So today, on the anniversary of her death, I'm moved to post a memorium:

In loving memory of Louise Bohannon
March 9, 1925 - May 16, 1998

Eight years without you hasn’t dimmed the memories of the sparkle in your eye, the softness of your touch, the smell of your perfume. I see you in my dreams, in the faces of my sisters, in the roses in my garden. I know I’ll see you again with a smile on your face, waiting on the other side, just as I know you were waiting for Jon when he followed you over. Keep him out of trouble over there, will ya? All my love, now and forever,

Terri

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hugs, Terri. What a beautiful tribute to your mother. It is easy to see why you are the special person you are. (((HUGS)))

Terri Garey said...

Thanks, Les. That's sweet of you to say.

Anonymous said...

Your tribute and loss brought tears to my eyes. Hugs, Terri - your mom was a beautiful lady. Its easy to see where you get it.

TrishJ said...

Awww, Terri. Your moom would be SO PROUD of you. Not because you're published, but because of what a sweet, wonderful person you are.

She'd get a kick out of you being published, though ::smile::.

Trish