Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Top O' the Mairnin' to Ye!

*says Terri in her best Irish accent*

Yes, I'm Irish (at least a part of me is), and so I'm wishing everyone a happy St. Patrick's Day! I'm wearing green, and have already pinched Captain America for walking out the door without even a touch of it. You can keep the green beer, however... it's red wine only for me!

My maiden name is Bohannon, which, if my research at the libary is to be believed, is really an elongated version of the name "O'Hannon". Elongated, yet shortened, because it was apparently once the custom in Irish villages to refer to male children as "Boy of so-and-so". Thus, Bohannon came from the phrase "Boy of O'Hannon", i.e., Bohannon.

I've been to Ireland, and it was there that I finally believed my uncle when he told us our family originally came from County Clare. I've never felt more at home or more at peace with myself than I did in Ireland - exploring the colorful city of Cork, driving along narrow little country roads that didn't look big enough for even one car (much less two!) wandering a countryside filled with rich shades of green and unexpected stone circles, quaint flower-laden cottages and genteel old manor houses, and roadside pubs that fairly begged a traveler to stop and stay a while.

My favorite souvenir of that trip sits above my front door: a metal plaque with the Gaelic phrase, "Cead Mille Failte". Almost impossible to pronounce, but I'll give it a try: "Ka-yud Mal Fal-cha", and it means "a hundred thousand welcomes".

So a hundred thousand welcomes to my blog, and may the luck of the Irish be with you today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! Stumbled across while looking for connections between my surname (Bohannon) and a possible Irish heritage within Clan Hainnan (OHannon). But accroding to this, our Irish homeplace is closer to Shannon or Ennis than Cork: http://clanhannon.com/hannon.html

Anyway, useful info here for me - a hundred thousand thanks! -p/.