Saturday, November 22, 2008

Sixth Sense, or Serendipity?

I had a birthday last week, and I gave myself the gift of going to visit my sister in Atlanta for a couple of days.

While sitting on the plane, out of nowhere, I found myself slipping into this odd little daydream that went like this: What if Stephen King was on the same flight, perhaps sitting in first class. Would I have the nerve to go up to him and ask him for his autograph? (I've heard he's reluctant to sign autographs because notoriety makes him uncomfortable.) Btw, I had a basis for my little daydream, because Mr. King lives part of the year in the Tampa area. Anyway, I tried to decide whether I'd trouble him for his signature, and decided that yes, even though I'm not normally bold enough to act like an autograph hound, in his case I'd have to make an exception. You see, while I don't claim to be a fan of every single one of his books, I admire the man himself for being stubborn enough and tough enough to gut it out for many years in this business, and for writing my favorite writing book of all time, On Writing (did I use the word "writing" enough in that sentence?" :-)

Anyway, daydream over, the plane took off and I was on my way to Atlanta. So, that evening, my sister and brother-in-law gave me my present:

A signed, first edition copy of Stephen King's 1994 release, Insomnia.

To summarize, in the morning I'm daydreaming about getting Stephen King's autograph, and that evening I had it. Had I somehow picked up that I was going to get it for my birthday, which sparked the daydream, or was it pure coincidence? Sixth sense, or serendipity? I'm sure I'll never know, but it was a pretty unusual coincidence, don't you think?

6 comments:

Danielle said...

I'm gonna go with serendipity for a hundred, Jack. No matter what it was, though, you ended up with a way cool present.

I've read lots of Stephen King books over the years (Pet Semetary scared the bejeesus out of me) but my all-time favorite book by him is "On Writing" (which would make it my favorite book on writing then, like you.) I think that book should be required reading for all college-level writing courses.

Happy belated birthday, by the way! (Have you read "Insomnia" yet? I haven't, although I have to say if I had a signed copy I'd probably just take it down from the shelf to stare at Stephen's autograph and probably never get around to reading the story.)

Lisa said...

I love it when that sort of things happens!

A few months ago I had one of those work dreams where people from work show up and do odd things that in some way represent what they do in their jobs. One of them was wearing a long-sleeved blue dress shirt. In the year I'd known this person he'd never worn a long-sleeved shirt, even in winter. The next day I go to work -- he's wearing a long-sleeved blue dress shirt.

When those weird coincidences happen they sure do make you wonder.

Anonymous said...

My sister has a signed copy of Insomnia. However, it doesn't really count, because my husband's name is Steven King and HE signed it. ;)

Terri Garey said...

Hi, Danielle! Sorry but I didn't see these comments locked away in moderation (as if you guys needed moderating, hm?) :-)

The first thing I thought to myself was that I was going to sit down and read Insomnia, and then I thought, "What are you, crazy? You'll crease the spine!"

It's in mint condition, you see, and I know people who will hurt me if I don't keep it in mint condition. (well, not hurt me, so much as yell at me a little LOL)

Terri Garey said...

That's funny, Cindy! Stephen King... does he ever walk around in coke bottle glasses impersonating the author?

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Terri Garey said...

Hey, Lisa - yep, coincidence or precognition? We'll never know...