Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Paying It Forward Pays Off

A few months ago, I attended a writing conference. There were a lot of agents and editors in attendance, and after the conference was over I wrote an industry article entitled AGENT NEWS FROM NEW JERSEY. My theory was that there were a lot of people out there who were dying to know the details about specific literary agents (there's only so much you can learn from the Internet, after all), but weren't able to attend conferences or fly to New York and find out for themselves. :)

Anyway, I just got a very nice email from a woman named Esther Pemberton, who after reading my article, queried agent Mary Sue Seymour. In the true tradition of happy endings, Esther has now signed on as one of Mary Sue's clients!

Congratulations, Esther, and thanks for letting me know that my article helped somebody achieve something so wonderful! Best of luck in your writing career!

2 comments:

Alyssa Goodnight said...

I just happened to read your article in PROspects and really liked your approach to 'getting to know' the agents. Great idea!

Terri Garey said...

Thanks, Alyssa! You can read about an agent's "submission guidelines", but guidelines tell you very little about the agent's personal style. I think "personal fit" is important, too, so I always want to know the details. I thought other people might want to know them, too. :)