Sunday, October 01, 2006

October - My Fall Fav


I don't know if it's just the happy childhood memories of Halloween, the much-needed break from the Florida heat, or just the subliminal message that the holiday season has begun, but October is, and always has been, my absolute favorite month of the year. I've always been so jealous of people who live in other parts of the country during October - they get to see the leaves change, enjoy bright splashes of color on the hillsides, crunch through fallen orange and yellow leaves. They get to enjoy crisp apple cider by a roaring fire, wear boots and cableknit sweaters, see the frost on the pumpkins. At least that's my fall fantasy....aah... lucky dogs. It's green where I live, green with palm trees year-round. I only get to wear my black leather jacket once or twice a year.

Maybe it's just the fantasy of fall I love so much, but I always look forward to October. :) So here's a few tidbits about the month itself:

If you were born in October, you're either a Libra (Sept 23–Oct 23) or a Scorpio (Oct 24–Nov 21). (Scorpio here, passionate to the extreme, but you Librans are so calm and laid back... very nice sign to be born under.)

Your birthstone is the opal, a very pretty gemstone with a fiery array of colors; blues, greens, reds and even oranges. (Such beautiful stones - no two are alike.)

Friday the 13th will be in October this year... isn't that cool?

So how is October where you live? When do the leaves change in your area? Dragged out those sweaters yet? Lucky dogs....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No sweaters yet. In fact, it's 95 here today! Yikes. But, I'm not complaining - hate the cold. By the end of the month it will be a different story. We always start out nice and end with anything from just cold rain to snow. I haven't been outside of my own little world lately, but the leaves should be changing soon.

Terri Garey said...

95?!? Wow! We're holding steady at about 90 for the highs - the coldest we get all winter will be a few nights in the 40's. Things must change pretty quick for you guys if you expect rain and snow by the end of the month!

Anonymous said...

It's 39 here right now (yes, I have on a sweater, and heavy socks--even my heater's on) and the trees are gorgeous! Winters up here are cold and long but I'd miss the change of seasons if we moved south. Remind me I said that when the temps are below 0, there's two feet of snow on the ground and school's cancelled :-)

Terri Garey said...

Ooo, Beth - you lucky dog! I'm sitting here sweating in shorts and a tee-shirt, having just walked 45 minutes in 100% humidity. I love everything you said except the 'school's cancelled' part. :)